Camp Wallace (1)
Camp Wallace (1) (1941-1946) - A World War II Camp established in 1941 near Hitchcock, Galveston County, Texas. Named Camp Wallace after Colonel Elmer J. Wallace of the 59th Coast Artillery, who was fatally wounded in the Meuse-Argonne offensive of 1918. Became a U.S. Navy facility in 1944. Closed and declared surplus in 1946.
A Coast Artillery anti-aircraft artillery training center opened on 1 Feb 1941 and served as a replacement training center for antiaircraft personnel. The camp contained 399 buildings, some pre-built on nearby Fort Crockett. Constructed on the camp were a medical facility, 161 barracks, and a service club. By May 1941 the camp had a capacity of some 10,250 personnel.
On 15 Apr 1945, the camp was officially transferred to the United States Navy as a naval training and distribution center and was used as a boot camp. After the war it became the Naval Personnel Separation Center. It was declared surplus in 1947.
Site now Jack Brooks Park.