Fort Wright (2)
Fort Wright (2) (1858-1861, 1862-1875) - A U.S. Army post first established in 1858 as Nome Cult Indian Agency Camp by 2nd Lieutenant Edward Dillon, 6th U.S. Infantry and abandoned by the Federal troops in 1861 after the start of the U.S. Civil War. Re-established in 1862 by Captain Charles D. Douglas, 2nd California Volunteers, in Mendocino County, California. Named for General George Wright (Cullum 309), commander of the Department of the Pacific. Abandoned in 1875. Also known as Camp Wright and Fort Right.
First established in December 1858 as Nome Cult Indian Agency Camp by 2nd Lieutenant Edward Dillon, 6th U.S. Infantry to protect the Nome Cult Indian Agency in the Round Valley of present day Mendocino County. The post was abandoned by Federal troops in September 1861 after the start of the U.S. Civil War.
Re-established by Company F, 2nd California Volunteers from Fort Gaston via Fort Humboldt and Fort Bragg who arrived at the site 11 Dec 1862. Later garrisoned by seven companies of 9th U.S. Infantry commanded by Captain Frederick T. Dent to protect the agency against local settlers. Construction continued on the post during 1863 and 1864 erecting log buildings that included barracks, officer's quarters, a mess hall, hospital, bakery, guardhouse and utility buildings. The post was renamed Camp Wright (2) after the end of the U.S. Civil War and construction resumed on more permanent adobe barracks.
The post was ordered abandoned 10 Jun 1875 because relations had improved significantly. The post was transferred to the Interior Department on 26 Jul 1876 along with the post buildings.
Round Valley, Mendocino County, California.