Champlain Arsenal (1826-1855, 1861-1872) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1826 after the War of 1812 in Vergennes, Addison County, Vermont. Deactivated in 1855 and reopened in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1872 and sold in 1873. Also known as Vergennes Arsenal.
Constructed in 1826-1827 on the site of a former iron mill as a U.S. Army arsenal arms depository and depot. Built out with officers' quarters, a barracks, a magazine, a laboratory, ordnance, and munitions storehouses. The main arsenal building was a three-story high stone building.
Deactivated in 1855 and reopened in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War. Closed as an arsenal in 1872 and sold in 1873.
Note: Congressional testimony in 1872 seems to indicate that the arsenal site was purchased and built out earlier than 1826, perhaps as early as 1816, as one of the original set of arsenals authorized in 1815 after the War of 1812.
Unknown, Vergennes, Addison County, Vermont.