Fort Andros (1688-1694) - An English colonial era fort first established in 1688 as Fort Andros along the Androscoggin River in present-day Brunswick, Sagadahoc County, Maine. Probably named for then Governor Edmund Andros, Governor of the Dominion of New England (1686-1689). Destroyed during King William's War by the French and their Indian allies in 1694. Also known as Pejepscot Fort and alternatively spelled as Fort Andross. Assigned Location ID ME00033.
Established in 1688 just before the start of King William's War (the first French & Indian War) by the Colonial Militia at the direction of the New England Governor Edmund Andros. The Fort was built of rock in a zigzag pattern below present-day Bow Street.
Marker only, the site is overbuilt with modern structures and parking lots.
Visited: 27 May 2018