Fort Barnard (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Barnard after Brigadier General John G. Barnard, (Cullum 708), who superintended the construction of the defenses of Washington DC. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Barnard
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Fort Barnard was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in late 1861 by bvt Captain Henry L. Abbot, (Cullum 1632), U.S. Topographical Engineers as a redoubt with a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 20 guns. Early armament (1862) included three 32 pounder cannons, one 24 pounder siege gun, two 30 pounder Parrott guns and two 10" siege mortars.
A 17 May 1864 inspection report showed a much changed configuration: "Fort Barnard, Major Cook commanding.–Garrison, two companies First Connecticut Heavy Artillery–1 major, 1 ordnance-sergeant, –– men. Armament, three 24-pounder field howitzers, six 32-pounder seacoast guns, three 24-pounder siege guns, two 8-inch seacoast howitzers, three 30-pounder Parrotts, one 24- pounder Coehorn mortar, and one 10-inch siege mortar. Magazines, two; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and in good condition. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison is sufficient."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only in Arlington County, Virginia.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1492957