Fort Cass (2)
Fort Cass (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in present day Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Cass after Colonel Thomas Cass, 9th Massachusetts Infantry, the regiment’s first commander who was wounded at Maven Hill in 1862 and later died from his wounds in Boston. Also known as Fort Ramsay until 1862. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Cass (2)
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Fort Cass was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in August 1861 by the 9th Massachusetts Infantry as a stockaded lunette with a perimeter of 288 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. Armament included four 24 pounder cannons and five 200 pounder Parrott rifles, three 6 pounder guns and one 24 pounder Coehorn mortar.
A 29 Mar 1862 inspection found: "Five guns: Two 24-pounder siege guns; two 20-pounder Parrotts, and one 24-pounder field howitzer; garrisoned by a company of Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, Lieutenant Ward. 74 strong. Guns, ammunition, parapets, and abatis in good order. Men well instructed. "
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Cass, Maj. N. Shatswell commanding.–Garrison, two companies First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery- -8 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 220 men. Armament, three 6- pounder field guns (smooth), five 20-pounder Parrotts (rifled), three 24-pounder siege guns (smooth). one 24-pounder F. D. howitzer (smooth), one 24-pounder Coehorn mortar. Magazines, two; dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply, well packed and in serviceable condition. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison sufficient for the work."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only in Arlington County, Virginia. On the property of Fort Myer an active military installation and access may be restricted. The marker is off post.