Fort Christian (1774-1794) - Built in 1774 by Capt. Daniel Smith as a colonial militia Indian defense garrisoned by 21 men for Lord Dunmore's War. Named for Col. William Christian who supervised the construction. The fort remained in use until the end of Indian hostilities in 1794. Also known as Glade Hollow Fort and Daniel Smith's Fort.
Originally seven militia forts were to be constructed in 1774 during Lord Dunmore's War against hostile Indian tribes. Capt. William Russell was to command four of the forts on the Lower Clinch River and Capt. Daniel Smith was to command three forts on the Upper Clinch River. These forts were to be erected by the local militia men supervised by Colonel William Christian who had been sent out to the frontier by Col. William Preston who was commanding officer of the Fincastle County Militia. The forts were generally named for the landowners where they were located and/or the military commanders. Many of them had multiple names as landowners and commanders changed.
Even though Lord Dunmore's War ended in 1774, the Indian attacks continued until 1794 when the Indian renegade leader, Benge, was killed near Big Stone Gap.
Fort Christian was originally named for Col. William Christian who supervised the fort construction but the name was not accepted locally and it came to be called Glade Hollow Fort.
Exact location unknown, Russell County, Virginia.