Fort Clark (4)
Fort Clark (4) (1813--1817, 1832) - An U.S. Army post established in 1813 by Lt. Colonel Robert Carter Nicholas, 1st U.S. Infantry, during the War of 1812 in present day Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois. Named for General William Rogers Clark. Abandoned in 1817 and destroyed by Indians in 1818. Rebuilt and garrisoned in 1832 during the Black Hawk War and again destroyed by Indians after it was abandoned. Often enough seen referred to as Fort Clair.
An U.S. Army post established 29 Aug 1813 during the War of 1812 by Lt. Colonel Robert Carter Nicholas, 1st U.S. Infantry and 150 regular troops. The regular troops were joined by some 800 mounted militia from Illinois and Missouri and the post was completed on 23 Sep 1813. The militia troops departed the fort in October 1813 leaving the regulars to garrison the post.
The fort was built out as a double wall log stockade with ditches, about 100' square, with small bastions at two opposing corners. The post was abandoned in 1817 and destroyed by Indians in 1818. It was rebuilt by settlers and garrisoned in 1832 during the Black Hawk War. The post was destroyed by Indians after it was abandoned.
No remains in Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois