Fort Conrad (1)
Fort Conrad (1) (1851-1854) - A U.S. Army post established in 1851 by Major Marshall S. Howe in Socorro County, New Mexico. Named for Charles M. Conrad, Secretary of War (1850-1853). Abandoned in 1854. Also known as Hay Camp.
A U.S. Army post established 8 Sep 1851 by Major Marshall S. Howe, 2nd U.S. Dragoons, on the west bank of the Rio Grande near Valverde. Established to control hostile Indians and to protect travel routes.
The post was abandoned on 31 Mar 1854 after the construction of Fort Craig (1) eight miles down river. After closure, the post was used to raise forage for Fort Craig (1) and became known as Hay Camp.
Unknown, Socorro County, New Mexico.