Fort Dinwiddie (1)
Fort Dinwiddie (1) (1755-1789) - First established in 1755 around the house of William Warwick during the French & Indian War. Named after Virginia Governor Robert Dinwiddie. Abandoned in 1789. Also known as Warwick's Fort, Hogg's Fort and Byrd's Fort.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
A French & Indian War defense located on the Jackson River, five miles west of Warm Springs, Virginia. Originally the house of William Warwick. The fort was garrisoned by 60 to 100 men in 1756. Visited by George Washington in 1775. Remained a fortification as late as 1789.
Marker 5-Q only.
Visited: 9 Apr 2012