Fort Federal Hill
Fort Federal Hill (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in south Baltimore, Independent City of Baltimore, Maryland. Named Fort Federal Hill after the location. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort No. 15 - Baltimore.
History of Fort Federal Hill
Following the Baltimore riot of 1861, Federal Hill in Baltimore was occupied by Union troops and a battery under the command of General Benjamin F. Butler on 12 May 1861. Butler and his men erected a small fort, with cannon pointing towards the central business district. Butler's goal was to insure the allegiance of the city and the state of Maryland to the Federal Government under threat of force.
The 5th New York Volunteer Infantry garrisoned the post on 27 Jul 1861, commanded by Colonel Abram Duryee. The unit was outfitted in colorful Zouave uniforms. Colonel Duryee’s second in command, Lt. Colonel Gouverneur Kemble Warren, (Cullum 1451), proposed a more substantial fort here. Ground was broken on 24 Aug 1861. Duyree was then promoted to general and Warren took command as a colonel on 31 Aug 1861.
Warren's Zouaves constructed a massive earthworks around the fort site. By the end of October 42 guns were mounted, including 6 8-inch Columbiads and 22 32-pounders.
Inside the ramparts, regimental carpenters built officers’ quarters and barracks to house 1,000 soldiers.
The fort was abandoned at the end of the war in August 1865.
Several display cannon and two markers in Federal Hill Park.