Fort Garrott (1862-1863) - Established in 1862 as a Confederate U.S. Civil War fort guarding the approaches to Vicksburg. First named Square Fort then named after Brigadier General Isham W. Garrott after he was killed at the fort on 17 Jun 1863. Abandoned in 1863 after the fall of Vicksburg.
Built as a part of the Confederate defense of Vicksburg, Mississippi during the siege of that city.
There were only three guns mounted in Fort Garrott, one 6 pounder and two 12 pounder howitzers.
The fort was named after Brigadier General Isham W. Garrott who was killed at the fort on 17 Jun 1863. General Garrott became exasperated at the large number of casualties his men suffered that day at the hands of Union sharpshooters and took up a rifle to return fire. He was shot dead through the heart as he took up a firing position.
Part of Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Mississippi.