Fort Greene (4)
Fort Greene (4) (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 in present day Brooklyn, Kings County, New York. Named Fort Greene after Patriot General Nathanael Greene, the army’s quartermaster-general. Captured by the British in 1776 and renamed Fort Sutherland until the British evacuation of New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Greene
Established early in 1776 and completed by 30 may 1776 as a star shaped fort armed with six cannons. Purportedly the largest of the Brooklyn Revolutionary War defenses with an interior well, two magazines and garrisoned by a full regiment.
Fort Greene was captured by the British as the Patriot forces abandoned the Brooklyn defenses on 29-30 Aug 1776. The British renamed the post Fort Sutherland, probably for British Major William Sutherland, in November 1778.
The unmarked site is described as being near the corner of Flatbush Avenue between Schermerhorn and State Street.