Fort Jewell (1870-1870) - A settler fort established in 1870 near Jewell, Jewell County, Kansas. Named Fort Jewell after Lt. Colonel Lewis R. Jewell, 6th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, who died of wounds received at the U.S. Civil War battle of Cane Hill, Arkansas. Abandoned as a fortification in 1870.
History of Fort Jewell
Established on 13 May 1870 by a 28 settler home guard after an Indian attack. Built with four foot thick sod walls that were seven feet high enclosing fifty square yards. The local home guard was relieved by a company of 3rd U.S. Artillery soldiers on 28 Jun 1870.
The fort was abandoned by the 3rd U.S. Artillery troops in the early fall of 1870.
Marker and a monument located in a city park four blocks west of the old fort site.