Fort Lincoln (4)
Fort Lincoln (4) (1864-1865) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1864 during the U.S. Civil War to guard a nearby prisoner of war camp on Point Lookout Peninsula in Saint Mary's County, Maryland. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Fort Lincoln was one of three fortifications constructed late in the U.S. Civil War to guard a major Union prisoner of war camp, Camp Hoffman (1), on the Point Lookout Peninsula. The fort was built out as a 60' square earthworks with platforms for six cannons surrounded by a dry moat. The two other fortifications were Redoubt No. 2 - Point Lookout and Redoubt No. 3 - Point Lookout those sites have eroded away. The war came to an end before construction was complete.
Restored fort including four U.S. Civil War buildings, Saint Mary's County, Maryland. The bridge, walls, sally port, gates, cannon ramps, firing steps, two officers quarters, an enlisted barracks, and a guardhouse have been reconstructed using 19th-century materials and techniques by the Friends of Point Lookout.