Fort Manada (1755-1757, 1763-1764) - A settlers stockaded log home fortified in 1755 by James Brown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Improved and commanded by Captain Frederick Smith as a sub post of Fort Swatara. Abandoned as a fortification in 1757 and again 1764. Also known as James Brown's Fort.
Fort Manada was a settler stockaded blockhouse established by James Brown in response to Indian attacks in the area. Captain Frederick Smith and his company were mustered into provincial service early in January 1756 and on 26 Jan 1856 were ordered to establish a defense or occupy and improve the existing defense at Swatara and Manada. The garrison at both forts was spread between the fort and settlers homes protecting the dwellings and the workers in the field. James Brown was killed by Indians in August 1756.
Private Property, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Visited: 24 Apr 2012
Fort Manada Picture Gallery