Fort Newport (1756-1756) - A British colonial French & Indian War Fort established in 1756 in present-day Rome, Oneida County, New York. Named Fort Newport after the fort commander, Captain Newport. Destroyed by the British in August 1756 to prevent its capture by the French.
History of Fort Newport
Established as a British colonial fort in 1755 on Wood Creek during the French & Indian War along the Oneida Carry. Built about 3/4 of a mile from the future site of Fort Stanwix. The actual site is located at Calvert Street between Arsenal Street and Brewer Alley in present-day Rome, New York.
The fort was constructed with a square log stockade with bastions on each corner. Destroyed by the British themselves to prevent its capture on 20 Aug 1756 after the French took Fort Oswego, Fort Ontario and Fort George.
No remains, marker on Calvert Street.
Visited: 17 Jun 2016