Fort Paris (1777-1781) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1777 near Stone Arabia, Montgomery County, New York. Named Fort Paris after Isaac Paris the owner of the property. Abandoned as a fortification in 1781. Also known as Stone Arabia Fort.
History of Fort Paris
The fort was built in early 1777 with a palisade and a blockhouse on the west side. The palisade enclosed the 1737 Paris house, farm and all the outbuildings, a trading post and barracks that could house some 100 men.
The fort was repeatedly attacked during the Battle of Stone Arabia on 19 Oct 1780 by Sir John Johnson's 900 Loyalists and British Regulars. The battle left about 30 dead on the Patriot side, including Colonel John Brown who was the fort commander. Colonel Brown's American Battalion of 380 militia men was defeated but Johnson was unable to take the fort and departed.
Abandoned as a fortification circa 1781.
No remains. Site identified in Roberts as located "...about three-quarters of a mile east of S.R. 10, about midway between Hickory Hill Road (CR 33) and Stone Arabia Road (CR 34)..." The map point reflects the Roberts description.