Fort St. Pierre (1)
Fort St. Pierre (1) (1731-1758) - A small French fur trading fort established in 1731 by the eldest son and nephew of Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye, near present day Fort Francis, Ontario, Canada. Abandoned in 1758.
History of Fort St. Pierre
A small fort and trading post established in 1731 to expand the French western fur trade north of Lake Superior. French explorer La Vérendrye left Montreal with 50 men, including his eldest son, Jean-Baptiste, and his nephew, Sieur de La Jemeraye, and travelled west to Fort Kaministiquia. La Vérendrye's eldest son and his nephew went on to construct Fort St. Pierre on the southwest end of Rainy Lake.
The fort was constructed as a 50' square with two gates and two bastions. One bastion contained a storehouse and powder magazine. The surrounding stockade had a double row of thirteen foot high pickets. Inside the walls were two main buildings, each with two rooms and double chimneys.
The French abandoned Fort St. Pierre in 1758 as the French & Indian War came to a close.
A 1950's replica of the French post was once located at Pither's Point Park, but was torn down several years ago.