Fort Stirling (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York. Named Fort Stirling after Patriot General William Alexander, Lord Stirling. Captured and used by the British during the British occupation of New York City (1776-1783). Returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort Half Moon (2) and commonly misspelled as Fort Sterling.
History of Fort Stirling
A very strategic Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established 1 Mar 1776 on a bluff above the East River in present day Brooklyn, New York. Fort Stirling commanded the mouth of the East River with a battery of eight guns. Also known as Fort Half Moon (2) because of the open back construction, more like a battery than a fort.
The fort was captured by the British in August 1776 and used by them during the British occupation of New York City (1776-1783). They posted a strong Hessian garrison at the fort and continuously garrisoned the post until they evacuated New York City.
The fort was returned to Patriot control on 25 Nov 1783 when the British evacuated New York City.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
Marker only at the site of Fort Stirling Park: