Fort Wagner (2)
History of Fort Wagner
Established in 1861 as an earthen fort with a perimeter of 166 yards and emplacements for five guns. Fort Wagner was a battery intended to sweep the valley through which the road leads up the heights.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Wagner, Lieut. Lewis R. Whittaker commanding. – Garrison, one company Twelfth Unattached Heavy Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers–1 commissioned officer, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 32 men. Armament, three 12-pounder field guns, one 8-inch siege howitzer, one Coehorn mortar. Magazines, one; dry and serviceable. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drilled but little at artillery and infantry; not much efficiency."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no marker.