Fort Walla Walla (2)
Fort Walla Walla (1856-1911) - First established on 23 Sep 1856 during the Yakima War as a U.S. Army post by Major Edward J. Steptoe and 9th U.S. Infantry troops at a temporary site west of the city. Moved to another temporary site at 1st and Main in present-day Walla Walla. Finally moved to the current location now occupied by the VA Hospital. Abandoned 11 Mar 1911.
First Site - Established in 23 Sep 1856 by Maj. Edward J. Steptoe and 9th U.S. Infantry troops as a stockaded blockhouse at a temporary site west of the city.
Second Site - Located in November 1856 at another temporary site at 1st and Main in present-day Walla Walla. Built as a blockhouse surrounded by temporary huts.
Third Site - Located at a site now occupied by the VA Hospital. Intermittently garrisoned after 1864, the fort was finally garrisoned and built out as a permanent six-company fort. The facilities included the commanding officer's quarters, five sets of duplex officer's quarters, two large barracks, and other supporting buildings.
The fort was the headquarters for Maj. Edward J. Steptoe and the 9th U.S. Infantry operations during the Yakima War against local Indian tribes. In May 1858 Major Steptoe's 159-man command was engaged in a running battle with the hostile Indians and he was forced to retreat with his command back to Fort Walla Walla on the night of 17 May 1858. The defeat caused the Army to mount a full-scale campaign later that year that successfully subjugated the hostile Indians.
The site was abandoned by the Army on 11 Mar 1911.
On the grounds of the JM Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center, Walla Walla, Washington. The parade ground and many buildings remain. Most of the buildings have been repurposed by the VA but they retain much of the original look. A separate Fort Walla Walla Museum is located west of the actual site with an entrance off SE Myrard Road and is not directly associated with the actual fort site. The entrance to the VA grounds is located at Chestnut St. and 13th Ave.
Visited: 28 Jun 2017, 15 May 2010