Fort Weed (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Fort first established as Redoubt A of Fort Lyon in 1862 in present day Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia. Named Fort Weed in September 1863 after Brigadier General of Volunteers Stephen H. Weed, (Captain, 5th U.S. Artillery) who was killed at Gettysburg on 2 Jul 1863. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Weed
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Fort Weed was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in 1862 as one of four redoubts in advance of Fort Lyon. After the battle at Gettysburg all four redoubts were were renamed for Union officers killed at that battle. The four newly created forts were Fort Weed, Fort Farnsworth, Fort O'Rourke and Fort Willard. Together with Fort Lyon these forts created a line across the southern approaches to the city of Alexandria.
Fort Weed (originally Redoubt A of Fort Lyon) was built by elements of the 34th Massachusetts Infantry under the direction of Captain Andrew Potter. The original redoubt was built with a perimeter of 253 yards enclosing one magazine, a bombproof and emplacements for 12 guns. Armament included three 24 pounders, two 12 pounder howitzers and six 30 pounder Parrott rifles (one vacant platform).
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Weed, Major Campbell commanding.–Garrison, one company Tenth New York Heavy Artillery–5 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 122 men. Armament, two 12-pounder field howitzers (smooth), three 24-pounder siege guns (smooth), six 30-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one: dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and in good order. Drill in artillery, ordinary; wants improving. Drill in infantry, very indifferent; wants improving much. Discipline, indifferent. Garrison of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains of the fort and no period guns or carriages visible.