Fort White (1838-1842) - A U.S. Army post established along the Santa Fe River in 1838 during the Second Seminole War in Marion County or Gilchrist County, Florida. Abandoned in 1842.
Probably established in December 1837 or January 1838 by U.S Army troops during the Second Seminole War. The post was established to protect the Cow Creek settlers from hostile Indians. Supplies were brought upriver by steamboat and distributed to other forts and settlers. The post was abandoned 26 Jun 1842 due to sickness among the troops.
A marker is located in the present day town of Fort White. The actual site is located about 4 miles west of the town on the Santa Fe River. The site map point is approximate location. Site is probably on private property in Marion County or Gilchrist County, Florida. The county line runs down the middle of the Santa Fe River.
Visited: 26 Jan 2012