Fort Wooster (1775, 1813-1840s) - A Patriot Revolutionary War signal post established in 1775 in present day New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut. Earthworks fortification built during the War of 1812. Known as Signal Hill, renamed Fort Wooster on 26 Aug 1814 after Major General David Wooster, who was killed in action in 1777 at Ridgefield, Connecticut . Abandoned sometime after the end of the war in 1815.
First established in 1775 as an unnamed fortified signal beacon on signal hill in present day New Haven. Signal hill had previously been the site of a palisaded Quinnipiac Indian village. The British captured signal hill during the Revolutionary War.
The fortifications were rebuilt in 1813 during the War of 1812 as earthworks with a powder magazine. Provided land side protection for Fort Hale (2).
Some earthworks ruins in Fort Wooster Park on Signal Hill in New Haven, Connecticut.
Visited: 10 Jun 2016