Milagra Ridge Military Reservation
Milagra Ridge Military Reservation (1942-1972) - The 330 acre Milagra Ridge Military Reservation was acquired in 1942 during World War II for use as a coastal defense installation at Pacifica, San Mateo County, California. Two coastal batteries were planned, Battery 244 was started in 1942 but not completed until after the war in 1947, Battery 130 was never built. Battery 244 was decommissioned in 1950. The reservation was finally closed in 1972 and portions transferred to the City of Pacifica in 1974.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Battery 244 was 6" gun emplacement built during World War II but not finished or armed until after World War II. The guns for Battery 244 were sent from Battery 247, Fort Canby, Washington. Battery 130 was to have been 16" gun battery like Battery Davis (2) at Fort Funston but it was canceled.
Cold War (1947-1991)
The reservation was used by the U.S. Army Defense Command for anti-aircraft missile Nike Site, SF-51, during the Cold War.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. Access from below by Connemara Dr. at Oceana Blvd. via trail up. Access from the top at Sharp Park Road intersection in Pacifica, San Mateo County, California.
Visited: 26 Aug 2009