Redoubt 7 - Constitution Island
Redoubt 7 - Constitution Island (1778-1787) - A Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1778 on the present day military reservation of the United States Military Academy on Constitution Island in Putnam County, New York. Repurposed as a powder magazine in 1782 and abandoned in 1787 when the powder was removed to West Point.
Part of Fortress West Point.
A land side defense built on the western heights of Constitution Island to protect the gun batteries below guarding the Great Chain and the "S" curve in the Hudson River. Construction began in the fall of 1778. Built with dry masonry construction. Redoubt 7 was designed to hold some 80 infantrymen and supporting cannons. At the end of the war in 1782 the redoubt was converted into an 12' by 18' powder magazine and remained so until 1897 when the powder was removed to West Point.
Stabilized remains on the military reservation of the United States Military Academy, Constitution Island, Putnam County, New York. On active Military installation and access may be restricted. Much of the foundation remains in very good shape.
Visited: 11 May 2012
Redoubt 7 - Constitution Island Picture Gallery