Texarkana Air Force Station
Texarkana Air Force Station (1955-1968) - A Cold War Air Force Station. Initially assigned a Permanent ID of M-91, a NORAD ID of Z-91. Turned over to the FAA in 1968.
Established and became operational in 1955 as Texarkana Air Force Station manned by the 703rd AC&W Squadron.
Texarkana AFS was a manual Ground Control Intercept (GCI) radar site providing surveillance, identification, and interception of unknown aircraft within the range of their radars. Senior directors at the radar site could direct interceptor aircraft to identify unknown targets using ground to air radio.
The site became a joint-use USAF/FAA site in 1960 providing radar data for both military and civil use.. The site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-91 on 31 Jul 1963.
Texarkana AFS and the 703rd were deactivated on 8 Sep 1968. The site continued operation as an FAA radar site until a new site was built about 8 miles southeast of Texarkana.
The physical plant of the site was divided into the main site, a cantonment area, a housing area, and a radio site. The main site housed the operations buildings, the radar towers, and the backup generators. The cantonment area housed the enlisted barracks, the bachelor officer's quarters, the orderly room, the dining hall, the motor pool and other support buildings. Many of these buildings at Texarkana AFS were of the Quonset hut type. Apart from the main site was a small 9 unit housing area for married personnel.
A separate radio site housed the radio equipment for directing aircraft intercepts. Like most early radar stations, Texarkana AFS originally had separate radio transmitter and receiver sites used by local controllers for voice direction of fighter interceptors to their targets. Later the local radio sites were reconfigured, usually into a single site that was known as the Ground to Air Transmitter Receiver (GATR) site. The GATR site communicated with the interceptors from either the local site or the direction center via voice commands.
Closed facility by the radome and many of the buildings remain including the operations building.