Battery Terrett: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "width="500"" to "width="-500" height="-500"" |
||
(8 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1901-1923) - Battery Terrett was a reinforced concrete, [[Endicott Period]] 3 inch coastal gun battery on [[Fort Gaines (1)]], Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903, after 1st Lt. [[John C. Terrett]], [[1st U.S. Infantry]], who was killed 21 Sep 1846 at the battle of Monterey, Mexico during the [[Mexican-American War]]. Battery construction on the original two gun emplacements started in 1900, was completed in 1901 and transferred to the | {{PageHeader}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1901-1923) - Battery Terrett was a reinforced concrete, [[Endicott Period]] 3 inch coastal gun battery on [[Fort Gaines (1)]], Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903, after 1st Lt. [[John C. Terrett]]<!-- not USMA -->, [[1st U.S. Infantry]], who was killed 21 Sep 1846 at the battle of Monterey, Mexico during the [[Mexican-American War]]. Battery construction on the original two gun emplacements started in 1900, was completed in 1901 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 20 May 1901 at a cost of $ 6,500.00. Construction on the third emplacement began in 1902, was completed in 1904 and was accepted for service 28 Apr 1904 at a cost of $ 6,965.11. Battery deactivated in 1923. | |||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
Line 13: | Line 14: | ||
Originally built as an [[Endicott Period]] concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1898MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1898 Masking Parapet mounts. A third emplacement was built for another M1898MI mounted on an M1903 carriage. The addition of the third emplacement resulted in a renumbering of the emplacements, the new emplacement became #1 and the original two emplacements became #2 and #3. This is a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and the magazines below. No shell or powder hoist are provided because of the light weight ammunition. Electric power was provided by [[Battery Stanton]]. | Originally built as an [[Endicott Period]] concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1898MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1898 Masking Parapet mounts. A third emplacement was built for another M1898MI mounted on an M1903 carriage. The addition of the third emplacement resulted in a renumbering of the emplacements, the new emplacement became #1 and the original two emplacements became #2 and #3. This is a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and the magazines below. No shell or powder hoist are provided because of the light weight ammunition. Electric power was provided by [[Battery Stanton]]. | ||
The third gun emplacement to be built was completed in 1904 but the mount for that gun did not arrive until 19 Feb 1912. That gun and | The third gun emplacement to be built was completed in 1904 but the mount for that gun did not arrive until 19 Feb 1912. That gun and its mount were transferred to [[Fort Moultrie]] on 19 May 1923. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
{{FtGainesBatteryTerrett}} | {{FtGainesBatteryTerrett}} | ||
Line 27: | Line 28: | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.249573" lon="-88.075472" zoom="19" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.249573" lon="-88.075472" zoom="19" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(B) 30.249466, -88.075579 | (B) 30.249466, -88.075579 | ||
{{PAGENAME}}<br>(1901-1923) | {{PAGENAME}}<br>(1901-1923) | ||
Line 50: | Line 51: | ||
'''Links: ''' | '''Links: ''' | ||
* {{CDSGBatteryLink}} | * {{CDSGBatteryLink}} | ||
{{Visited| | {{Visited|23 Dec 2011, 10 Dec 2009}} | ||
=={{PAGENAME}} Picture Gallery== | =={{PAGENAME}} Picture Gallery== | ||
Line 65: | Line 66: | ||
__NOTOC__ | __NOTOC__ | ||
{{PageFooter}} | |||
{{DEFAULTSORT:Terrett}} | {{DEFAULTSORT:Terrett}} | ||
[[Category:All]] | [[Category:All]] | ||
Line 79: | Line 81: | ||
[[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]] | [[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]] | ||
[[Category:2009 Southern Trip]] | [[Category:2009 Southern Trip]] | ||
[[Category: | [[Category:2011-2012 Trip]] | ||
[[Category:Starter Page]] |
Latest revision as of 18:12, 7 January 2019
Battery Terrett (1901-1923) - Battery Terrett was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Gaines (1), Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903, after 1st Lt. John C. Terrett, 1st U.S. Infantry, who was killed 21 Sep 1846 at the battle of Monterey, Mexico during the Mexican-American War. Battery construction on the original two gun emplacements started in 1900, was completed in 1901 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 20 May 1901 at a cost of $ 6,500.00. Construction on the third emplacement began in 1902, was completed in 1904 and was accepted for service 28 Apr 1904 at a cost of $ 6,965.11. Battery deactivated in 1923.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)Part of the Harbor Defense of Mobile, Alabama. Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1898MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1898 Masking Parapet mounts. A third emplacement was built for another M1898MI mounted on an M1903 carriage. The addition of the third emplacement resulted in a renumbering of the emplacements, the new emplacement became #1 and the original two emplacements became #2 and #3. This is a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and the magazines below. No shell or powder hoist are provided because of the light weight ammunition. Electric power was provided by Battery Stanton. The third gun emplacement to be built was completed in 1904 but the mount for that gun did not arrive until 19 Feb 1912. That gun and its mount were transferred to Fort Moultrie on 19 May 1923.
![]()
World War I (1917-1918)The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. None of the guns at Battery Terrett were caught in the World War I redistribution but the two original M1898MI guns were caught in the 1920 Disarmament program and were transferred to Watervliet Arsenal 3 Jul 1920. Both the original carriages were ordered scrapped 20 May 1920. The third gun and carriage were transferred to Fort Moultrie on 19 May 1923. Current StatusFort Gaines Historical Site maintained by the Dauphin Island Park and Beach Board. No period guns or mounts in place.
Sources: Links: Visited: 23 Dec 2011, 10 Dec 2009 Battery Terrett Picture Gallery
|