Battery 126: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
Bill Thayer (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "== ReplaceText History ==" to "== History ==" |
||
(23 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1942-1948) - A [[World War II]] era Battery built in 1942 as a reinforced concrete | {{PageHeader}} | ||
{{ | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1942-1948) - A [[World War II]] era Battery built in 1942 as a reinforced concrete Coast Artillery Battery on [[Fort Rosecrans]], San Diego County, California. Construction began 12 Jun 1942 and was completed 16 Mar 1944. The Battery was turned over for service 19 Oct 1944 at a cost of $1,323,912.38. Renamed [[Battery Ashburn]] in G.O. 69, 22 Dec 1942, after Major General [[Thomas Quinn Ashburn]], USA. Declared surplus in May 1948. | ||
[[Image:FortRosecransBatterAshburn.jpg|thumb|left| | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |||
== | |width="50%"|[[Image:FortRosecransBatterAshburn.jpg|thumb|left|350px|Battery 126, 16" Gun, 1944]] | ||
Battery 126 was a battery of two, 16" [[:Category:16" Rifle MarkII-M1|MarkII-M1]] naval guns casemated in an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. The gun tubes were mounted in | |width="50%"|[[File:Battery Ashburn - 6.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Battery Ashburn Rear Central Entrance]] | ||
|- | |||
|colspan="2"|[[File:Battery Ashburn - 2.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Battery Ashburn Gun Emplacement #1]] | |||
|} | |||
== History == | |||
Battery 126 was a battery of two, 16" [[:Category:16" Rifle MarkII-M1|MarkII-M1]] naval guns casemated in an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. Two sets of powder and shell rooms inside the concrete support structure formed the magazines and were on the same level as the guns. Powder and shells were moved from the magazines to the gun loading platforms by an overhead rail and hoist system or by shot carts. The guns were traversed and elevated by electrical motors. Electrical power was furnished by three internal generator sets and commercial power. | |||
[[File:Battery Ashburn PSR Plan.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Battery Ashburn PSR Plan]] | |||
The battery Plotting, Switchboard and Radio (PSR) room was located 875' north and east of gun emplacement #1, in a large underground concrete structure, to minimize the effects of the concussion from the guns firing. The PSR was transferred to the Cast Artillery for service on 16 June 1944 at a cost of $ 168,141.72. | |||
The gun tubes were mounted in March 1944 but the gun shields did not arrive until early 1945. The guns were proof fired in July 1944 without the shields. The battery was declared surplus in May 1948. The guns and the shields were scrapped. | |||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
{{FtRosecransBattery126}} | {{FtRosecransBattery126}} | ||
[[Image:FortRosecransBattery126 Plan.jpg|thumb|795px|left|Battery 126 Plan]] | [[Image:FortRosecransBattery126 Plan.jpg|thumb|795px|left|Battery 126 Plan]] | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
In use on active military installation. No guns or carriages in place. No public access inside. Public road (Cabrillo Drive) passes right by all three rear entrances. | |||
---- | ---- | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="32. | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="32.679985" lon="-117.243476" zoom="16" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(B) 32.6783279, -117.2443181 | (B) 32.6783279, -117.2443181, Battery 126 | ||
(1942-1948) | |||
(1) 32.6790075, -117.244235 | (1) 32.6790075, -117.244235 | ||
Gun Emplacement #1 | Gun Emplacement #1 | ||
(2) 32.6776506, -117.2446051 | (2) 32.6776506, -117.2446051 | ||
Gun Emplacement #2 | Gun Emplacement #2 | ||
(P) 32.6812177, -117.2432184, Battery Ashburn PSR | |||
</googlemap> | </googlemap> | ||
|valign="top"| | |valign="top"| | ||
'''Location:''' | '''Location:''' Alongside Cabrillo Drive in Cabrillo National Monument, San Diego County, California | ||
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|32.6783279|-117.2443181}} | {{Mapit-US-cityscale|32.6783279|-117.2443181}} | ||
* Elevation: | * Elevation: 355.67' | ||
|} | |} | ||
'''Sources:''' | '''Sources:''' | ||
{{HBSuppSanDiegoWWII}} | {{HBSuppSanDiegoWWII}} | ||
'''Links: ''' | '''Links: ''' | ||
* | * [http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/cabr/hrs7.htm National Park Service] | ||
* {{CDSGBatteryLink}} | |||
{{ | |||
{{Visited|22 Jan 2013}} | |||
{{PageFooter}} | |||
__NOTOC__ | __NOTOC__ | ||
Line 56: | Line 63: | ||
[[Category:Harbor Defense of San Diego]] | [[Category:Harbor Defense of San Diego]] | ||
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | ||
[[Category:2013 Research Trip]] | |||
[[Category:Fort Rosecrans]] | [[Category:Fort Rosecrans]] | ||
Latest revision as of 06:59, 23 September 2021
Battery 126 (1942-1948) - A World War II era Battery built in 1942 as a reinforced concrete Coast Artillery Battery on Fort Rosecrans, San Diego County, California. Construction began 12 Jun 1942 and was completed 16 Mar 1944. The Battery was turned over for service 19 Oct 1944 at a cost of $1,323,912.38. Renamed Battery Ashburn in G.O. 69, 22 Dec 1942, after Major General Thomas Quinn Ashburn, USA. Declared surplus in May 1948.
HistoryBattery 126 was a battery of two, 16" MarkII-M1 naval guns casemated in an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. Two sets of powder and shell rooms inside the concrete support structure formed the magazines and were on the same level as the guns. Powder and shells were moved from the magazines to the gun loading platforms by an overhead rail and hoist system or by shot carts. The guns were traversed and elevated by electrical motors. Electrical power was furnished by three internal generator sets and commercial power. ![]() The battery Plotting, Switchboard and Radio (PSR) room was located 875' north and east of gun emplacement #1, in a large underground concrete structure, to minimize the effects of the concussion from the guns firing. The PSR was transferred to the Cast Artillery for service on 16 June 1944 at a cost of $ 168,141.72. The gun tubes were mounted in March 1944 but the gun shields did not arrive until early 1945. The guns were proof fired in July 1944 without the shields. The battery was declared surplus in May 1948. The guns and the shields were scrapped.
![]()
Current StatusIn use on active military installation. No guns or carriages in place. No public access inside. Public road (Cabrillo Drive) passes right by all three rear entrances.
Sources:
Links: Visited: 22 Jan 2013 |