Battery Walker: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "{{DEFAULTSORT:" to "|} {{DEFAULTSORT:" |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{PageHeader}} | |||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at [[Fort Stevens (1)]] between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included [[Battery Lewis]] and [[Battery Mishler]]). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called [[Battery Lewis]], Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. [[Leverett H. Walker]] {{Cullum|2385}} former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918. | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at [[Fort Stevens (1)]] between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included [[Battery Lewis]] and [[Battery Mishler]]). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called [[Battery Lewis]], Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. [[Leverett H. Walker]] {{Cullum|2385}} former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
[[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg| | [[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Battery Walker]] | ||
[[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg| | [[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg|385px|thumb|right|Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station]] | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
== [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | == [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | ||
Line 11: | Line 11: | ||
A concrete [[Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of [[Battery Lewis]] until 1909 when it was separately named. | A concrete [[Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of [[Battery Lewis]] until 1909 when it was separately named. | ||
This is a two story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long point shells. | This is a two-story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers, and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long-point shells. | ||
In 1911, a two story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at | In 1911, a two-story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at $ 3,448.18. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
{{FtStevensBatteryWalker}} | {{FtStevensBatteryWalker}} | ||
Line 19: | Line 19: | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
== [[World War I]] (1917-1918) == | == [[World War I]] (1917-1918) == | ||
On 29 May 1918 the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the [[Watervliet|Watervliet Arsenal]] and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped 26 May 1920. | On 29 May 1918, the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed on 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the [[Watervliet|Watervliet Arsenal]] and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped on 26 May 1920. | ||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place. | Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place. | ||
Line 25: | Line 25: | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.207116" lon="-123.969217" zoom="18" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.207116" lon="-123.969217" zoom="18" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(B) 46.207087, -123.969474 | (B) 46.207087, -123.969474, Battery Walker | ||
(1898-1918) | |||
(2) 46.207172, -123.969732 | (2) 46.207172, -123.969732, Gun Emplacement #2 | ||
Gun Emplacement #2 | (1) 46.207194, -123.969244, Gun Emplacement #1 | ||
(1) 46.207194, -123.969244 | |||
Gun Emplacement #1 | |||
</googlemap> | </googlemap> | ||
|valign="top"| | |valign="top"| | ||
'''Location:''' On [[Fort Stevens]], Oregon | '''Location:''' On [[Fort Stevens (1)|Fort Stevens]], Oregon | ||
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|46.207116|-123.969217}} | {{Mapit-US-cityscale|46.207116|-123.969217}} | ||
* Elevation: 34' | * Elevation: 34' | ||
|valign="top"| | |||
<br><br> | |||
'''GPS Locations:''' | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207087|Lon=-123.969474}} Battery Walker | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207172|Lon=-123.969732}} Gun Emplacement #2 | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207194|Lon=-123.969244}} Gun Emplacement #1 | |||
|} | |} | ||
Line 44: | Line 50: | ||
'''Links: ''' | '''Links: ''' | ||
{{FortID|ID=OR0177|Name={{PAGENAME}}}} | |||
{{Visited|18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008}} | {{Visited|18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008}} | ||
== | == Picture Gallery == | ||
<gallery> | <gallery> | ||
Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 4.jpg|Top of Battery Walker | Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 4.jpg|Top of Battery Walker | ||
Line 65: | Line 72: | ||
[[Category:Endicott Period Battery]] | [[Category:Endicott Period Battery]] | ||
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | ||
[[Category:Harbor Defense of the Columbia]] | [[Category:Harbor Defense of the Columbia]] | ||
[[Category:Fort Stevens]] | [[Category:Fort Stevens]] | ||
[[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]] | [[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]] |
Latest revision as of 11:34, 17 May 2022
Battery Walker (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at Fort Stevens (1) between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included Battery Lewis and Battery Mishler). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called Battery Lewis, Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. Leverett H. Walker (Cullum 2385) former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918.
![]() ![]()
Endicott Period (1890-1910)Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia. A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of Battery Lewis until 1909 when it was separately named. This is a two-story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers, and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long-point shells. In 1911, a two-story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at $ 3,448.18.
![]()
World War I (1917-1918)On 29 May 1918, the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed on 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the Watervliet Arsenal and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped on 26 May 1920. Current StatusFair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place.
Sources: Links: Fortification ID:
Visited: 18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008 Picture Gallery
|