Battery O'Flyng: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown) | |||
Line 2: | Line 2: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}} (1906-1918)''' - Battery Elijah O'Flyng is a concrete rifled gun battery built at [[Fort Canby]] starting in August 1904 and completed in December 1905. It was transferred to the Coast Artillery on 27 Feb 1906 at a cost of $39,290. Named for Ensign [[Elijah O'Flyng]], [[23rd U.S. Infantry]] who died 18 Sep 1814 at the siege of [[Fort Erie]] during the [[War of 1812]]. It is the only [[Fort Canby]] battery that faces in towards the Columbia River mouth. | '''{{PAGENAME}} (1906-1918)''' - Battery Elijah O'Flyng is a concrete rifled gun battery built at [[Fort Canby]] starting in August 1904 and completed in December 1905. It was transferred to the Coast Artillery on 27 Feb 1906 at a cost of $39,290. Named for Ensign [[Elijah O'Flyng]], [[23rd U.S. Infantry]] who died 18 Sep 1814 at the siege of [[Fort Erie]] during the [[War of 1812]]. It is the only [[Fort Canby]] battery that faces in towards the Columbia River mouth. | ||
{{ | |||
[[Image:Battery O'Flying Gun Emplacement One - Top View.JPG|350px|thumb|left|Gun Emplacement #1 Counterweight Well]] | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
[[Image:Battery O'Flying - Outside Guard Room and Office.JPG|350px|thumb|right|Outside the Guard Room and Office]] | |- valign="top" | ||
|width="50%"|[[Image:Battery O'Flying Gun Emplacement One - Top View.JPG|350px|thumb|left|Gun Emplacement #1 Counterweight Well]] | |||
|width="50%"|[[Image:Battery O'Flying - Outside Guard Room and Office.JPG|350px|thumb|right|Outside the Guard Room and Office]] | |||
|- | |||
|colspan="2"|[[File:Battery O'Flying Gun Emp 2 Left 2S.JPG|795px|thumb|center|Battery O'Flying Gun Emp 2 Left]] | |||
|} | |||
== [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | == [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) == | ||
{{HDColumbia}} A concrete [[Endicott Period]] Gun Battery guarding the entrance to the Columbia River with two, M1905 6" rifled guns mounted in M1903 disappearing carriages. | {{HDColumbia}} A concrete [[Endicott Period]] Gun Battery guarding the entrance to the Columbia River with two, M1905 6" rifled guns mounted in M1903 disappearing carriages. | ||
Line 33: | Line 37: | ||
|valign="top"| | |valign="top"| | ||
<br><br> | <br><br><br> | ||
'''GPS Locations:''' | '''GPS Locations:''' | ||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.27694|Lon=-124.04754}} Battery O'Flyng | * {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.27694|Lon=-124.04754}} Battery O'Flyng |
Latest revision as of 11:16, 13 August 2022
Battery O'Flyng (1906-1918) - Battery Elijah O'Flyng is a concrete rifled gun battery built at Fort Canby starting in August 1904 and completed in December 1905. It was transferred to the Coast Artillery on 27 Feb 1906 at a cost of $39,290. Named for Ensign Elijah O'Flyng, 23rd U.S. Infantry who died 18 Sep 1814 at the siege of Fort Erie during the War of 1812. It is the only Fort Canby battery that faces in towards the Columbia River mouth. Endicott Period (1890-1910)Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia. A concrete Endicott Period Gun Battery guarding the entrance to the Columbia River with two, M1905 6" rifled guns mounted in M1903 disappearing carriages. World War I (1917-1918)The original guns were removed in 1918 and remounted in Battery Harvey Allen. The carriages were sold and removed the same year.
![]()
Current StatusThe battery is not accessible to the public except by permission of the Coast Guard. Most of the battery is overgrown but in excellent condition. The rooms are dry and empty, with some clutter. No period guns or carriages are in place.
See Also: Sources:
Links: Fortification ID:
Visited: 26 Jun 2009 Picture Gallery
|