Battery Parker: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
 
(24 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1907-1918) - Battery Thomas Parker is a concrete [[:Category:Endicott Period Batteries|Endicott Period]] Coastal Battery located on [[Fort Casey]], Washington. Named after [[Thomas Parker]]. The Battery was begun August 1903 and completed August 1905 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery 22 May 1907 at a cost of $50,380. The guns were removed from the Battery in 1918.
{{PageHeader}}
{{Clr}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1907-1917) - Battery Thomas Parker is a concrete [[Endicott Period]] Coastal Battery located on [[Fort Casey (1)]], Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington
[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Battery Parker]]
. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. 1st Lt. [[Thomas D. Parker]], U.S. Army, 2nd Lt., [[2nd U.S. Infantry]], who was killed in action at Gaines Mill, Virginia, 27 Jun 1862, during the [[U.S. Civil War]]. The Battery was begun in August 1903 and completed in August 1905 and transferred to the Coast Artillery on 22 May 1907 at a cost of $50,380. The guns were removed from the Battery in 1917.
[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker Gun1.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Battery Parker]]
{|width="795px" cellpadding="5px"
{{Clr}}
|- valign="top"
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker - 1.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Battery Parker Gun Emplacement #2]]
Battery Parker was designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound. Originally built with two, 6" M1905 rifles mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages carriages.
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker - 7.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Battery Parker Gun Emplacement #1]]
|-
|colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker Panorama.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Battery Parker Panorama]]
|}
== History ==
{{HDPuget Sound}} Battery Parker was designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound.  
 
Originally built with two, 6" M1905 rifles mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. This was a two-story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines and service rooms on the lower level. On the lower level, a common shell room and a common powder room serve both gun positions. Electrical power was provided from either the plant at Battery Seymour & Schenck, the central power plant, or commercial power. No shell or powder hoists were provided.
{{Template:FtCaseyBatteryParker}}
{{Template:FtCaseyBatteryParker}}
[[Image:Fort Casey Battery Parker Plan.jpg|thumb|left|795px|Battery Parker Plan a/o 1 Mar 1933]]
[[Image:FortCaseyBatteryParker_Plan(2).jpg|thumb|left|795px|Battery Parker Plan a/o 1 Mar 1933]]
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
== [[World War I]] ==
{{WWICoastalGuns}} The two 6" guns at Battery Parker were listed for service overseas on 27 Aug 1917 and by 18 Jul 1918, they had been transferred. The guns were actually transferred on 31 Dec 1917 to [[Watervliet|Watervliet Arsenal]] but never actually made it overseas because the war drew to a close before they could be modified and shipped. These guns remained in the inventory until after [[World War II]] but were never remounted.
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
The battery was clean and dry when visited. No guns or carriages were in place.
The battery was clean and dry when visited. No guns or carriages were in place.
Line 15: Line 25:
{|
{|
|
|
<googlemap lat="48.168411" lon="-122.68276" zoom="18" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="48.168411" lon="-122.68276" zoom="18" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
(Battery) 48.168411, -122.68276, {{PAGENAME}}<br>(1905-1918)
(B) 48.168411, -122.68276, Battery Parker
(1) 48.168558, -122.682883, Gun #1
(1905-1917)
(2) 48.168225, -122.682787, Gun #2
(1) 48.168558, -122.682883
Gun emplacement #1
(2) 48.168225, -122.682787, Gun emplacement #2
</googlemap>
</googlemap>
|valign="top"|
|valign="top"|
'''Location:''' On [[Fort Casey]], Whidbey Island, Washington
'''Location:''' [[Fort Casey (1)]], Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington.


{{Mapit-US-cityscale|48.168411|-122.68276}}
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|48.168411|-122.68276}}
* Elevation: 116'
* Elevation: 116'
|valign="top"|
<br><br>
'''GPS Locations:'''
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=48.168411|Lon=-122.682883}} Battery Parker
|}
|}


'''Sources:'''  
'''Sources:'''  
{{CDSGPacific}}
{{CDSGBattery}}


'''Links: '''
'''Links: '''


{{Visited|18 Jul 2008}}
{{FortID|ID=WA0052|Name={{PAGENAME}}}}


=={{PAGENAME}} Picture Gallery==
{{Visited|14 Apr 2010, 18 Jul 2008}}
{{PictureHead}}
<gallery>
</gallery>


__NOTOC__
__NOTOC__


{{PageFooter}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Parker}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Parker}}
[[Category:All]]
[[Category:All]]
[[Category:Washington All]]
[[Category:Washington All]]
[[Category:Washington Batteries]]
[[Category:Washington Battery]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:Preserved]]
[[Category:Washington Island County]]
[[Category:State Park]]
[[Category:Endicott Period Battery]]
[[Category:Endicott Period Batteries]]
[[Category:Coastal Battery]]
[[Category:Coastal Batteries]]
[[Category:Fort Casey (1)]]
[[Category:Fort Casey]]
[[Category:2010 CDSG Meeting]]
[[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]]

Latest revision as of 11:50, 13 August 2022

Battery Parker (1907-1917) - Battery Thomas Parker is a concrete Endicott Period Coastal Battery located on Fort Casey (1), Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington . Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. 1st Lt. Thomas D. Parker, U.S. Army, 2nd Lt., 2nd U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action at Gaines Mill, Virginia, 27 Jun 1862, during the U.S. Civil War. The Battery was begun in August 1903 and completed in August 1905 and transferred to the Coast Artillery on 22 May 1907 at a cost of $50,380. The guns were removed from the Battery in 1917.

Battery Parker Gun Emplacement #2
Battery Parker Gun Emplacement #1
Battery Parker Panorama

History

Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Battery Parker was designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound.

Originally built with two, 6" M1905 rifles mounted on M1903 disappearing carriages. This was a two-story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines and service rooms on the lower level. On the lower level, a common shell room and a common powder room serve both gun positions. Electrical power was provided from either the plant at Battery Seymour & Schenck, the central power plant, or commercial power. No shell or powder hoists were provided.

Battery Parker Armament (edit list)
Empl
No
Caliber
Type
Barrel
Length
Model Serial
No
Manufacturer Carriage Service
Dates
Notes
1 6" Rifle 300" M1905 3 Watervliet Disappearing, M1903,
#74, Detrick & Harvey
1907-1917 See Note 1
2 6" Rifle 300" M1905 12 Watervliet Disappearing, M1903,
#75, Detrick & Harvey
1907-1917 See Note 1
Source: RCW Form 1, 1 Mar 1933, CDSG, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 98-99, 217
Note 1: Carriages transferred from Detrick & Harvey in Dec 1905, guns transferred to Watervliet 31 Dec 1917, carriages scrapped 26 May 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery Parker Plan a/o 1 Mar 1933


World War I

The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The two 6" guns at Battery Parker were listed for service overseas on 27 Aug 1917 and by 18 Jul 1918, they had been transferred. The guns were actually transferred on 31 Dec 1917 to Watervliet Arsenal but never actually made it overseas because the war drew to a close before they could be modified and shipped. These guns remained in the inventory until after World War II but were never remounted.

Current Status

The battery was clean and dry when visited. No guns or carriages were in place.


{"selectable":false,"height":"-500","width":"-500"}

Location: Fort Casey (1), Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington.

Maps & Images

Lat: 48.168411 Long: -122.68276



GPS Locations:


Sources: Template:CDSGBattery

Links:

Fortification ID:

  • WA0052 - Battery Parker

Visited: 14 Apr 2010, 18 Jul 2008