Battery Walker: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
 
(26 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{PageHeader}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1897-1920) - Battery Walker was built at [[Fort Stevens]] between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302, 014 (both Lewis and Mishler). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called West Battery. Battery Walker was named in 1905 for Col. [[Leverett H. Walker]] who died 29 Oct 1907.
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at [[Fort Stevens (1)]] between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included [[Battery Lewis]] and [[Battery Mishler]]). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called [[Battery Lewis]], Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. [[Leverett H. Walker]] {{Cullum|2385}} former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918.
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
[[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Battery Walker]]
[[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Battery Walker]]
[[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station]]
[[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg|385px|thumb|right|Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station]]
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==
== [[Endicott Period]] (1890-1910) ==
Part of the [[:Category:Harbor Defense of the Columbia|Harbor Defense of the Columbia]].
{{HDColumbia}}


A concrete [[:Category:Endicott Period Batteries|Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. The guns were removed during [[World War I]], shipped to France to help bolster the Allied defenses and never replaced.
A concrete [[Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of [[Battery Lewis]] until 1909 when it was separately named.
 
This is a two-story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers, and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long-point shells.
 
In 1911, a two-story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at $ 3,448.18.
{{Clr}}
{{FtStevensBatteryWalker}}
{{FtStevensBatteryWalker}}
 
[[Image:Fort Stevens Battery Walker Plan.jpg|thumb|left|795px|Battery Walker Plan]]
{{Clr}}
== [[World War I]] (1917-1918) ==
On 29 May 1918, the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed on 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the [[Watervliet|Watervliet Arsenal]] and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped on 26 May 1920.
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place.
Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place.
Line 16: Line 25:
{|
{|
|
|
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.207116" lon="-123.969217" zoom="18" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.207116" lon="-123.969217" zoom="18" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
(B) 46.207116, -123.969217
(B) 46.207087, -123.969474, Battery Walker
{{PAGENAME}}<br>(1897-1920)
(1898-1918)
(2) 46.20722, -123.969453
(2) 46.207172, -123.969732, Gun Emplacement #2
Gun Emplacement #2
(1) 46.207194, -123.969244, Gun Emplacement #1
(1) 46.207231, -123.96897
Gun Emplacement #1
</googlemap>
</googlemap>
|valign="top"|
|valign="top"|
'''Location:''' On [[Fort Stevens]], Oregon
'''Location:''' On [[Fort Stevens (1)|Fort Stevens]], Oregon


{{Mapit-US-cityscale|46.207116|-123.969217}}
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|46.207116|-123.969217}}
* Elevation: 34'
* Elevation: 34'
|valign="top"|
<br><br>
'''GPS Locations:'''
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207087|Lon=-123.969474}} Battery Walker
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207172|Lon=-123.969732}} Gun Emplacement #2
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=46.207194|Lon=-123.969244}} Gun Emplacement #1
|}
|}


'''Sources:'''  
'''Sources:'''  
* [http://www.cdsg.org/HDCRdata/bwalker.htm Coastal Defense Study Group]
* [http://www.cdsg.org/HDCRdata/bwalker.htm Coast Defense Study Group]


'''Links: '''
'''Links: '''


{{FortID|ID=OR0177|Name={{PAGENAME}}}}


{{Visited|18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008}}
{{Visited|18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008}}
 
== Picture Gallery ==
=={{PAGENAME}} Picture Gallery==
{{PictureHead}}
<gallery>
<gallery>
Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 4.jpg|Top of Battery Walker
Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 4.jpg|Top of Battery Walker
Line 49: Line 63:
__NOTOC__
__NOTOC__


{{PageFooter}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Walker}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Walker}}
[[Category:All]]
[[Category:All]]
[[Category:Oregon All]]
[[Category:Oregon All]]
[[Category:Oregon Battery]]
[[Category:Oregon Battery]]
[[Category:Oregon Clatsop County]]
[[Category:Coastal Battery]]
[[Category:Coastal Battery]]
[[Category:Endicott Period Battery]]
[[Category:Endicott Period Battery]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:Preserved]]
[[Category:State Park]]
[[Category:Harbor Defense of the Columbia]]
[[Category:Harbor Defense of the Columbia]]
[[Category:Fort Stevens]]
[[Category:Fort Stevens]]
[[Category:1920 Disarmament Program]]

Latest revision as of 11:34, 17 May 2022

Battery Walker (1898-1918) - Battery Walker was built at Fort Stevens (1) between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898 at a cost of $302,014 (included Battery Lewis and Battery Mishler). Originally one of three sets of emplacements called Battery Lewis, Battery Walker was separately named in S.O. 15, 28 Jan 1909 for Colonel. Leverett H. Walker (Cullum 2385) former commander of Fort Stevens who died 29 Oct 1907. The battery was deactivated in 1918.

Battery Walker
Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station


Endicott Period (1890-1910)

Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.

A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 10" M1888MII rifles on M1894 disappearing carriages. It was originally a part of Battery Lewis until 1909 when it was separately named.

This is a two-story battery with the lower level containing a shot room, a powder room, shot chambers, and tool rooms for each emplacement. In 1905, two Taylor-Raymond electric motor driven, back delivery, shell hoists were installed, one for each emplacement. The battery seems to have been modified for the newer long-point shells.

In 1911, a two-story BC station was built at the back of the battery that contained an observing room at the top and a plotting room below, each 15' x 15', at $ 3,448.18.

Battery Walker Armament (edit list)
Empl
No
Caliber
Type
Barrel
Length
Model Serial
No
Manufacturer Carriage Service
Dates
Notes
1 10" Rifle 367.25" M1888MII 52 Watervliet Disappearing Carriage L.F.,
M1894, #4c, Kilby
1897-1918 See note 1
2 10" Rifle 367.25" M1888MII 48 Watervliet Disappearing Carriage L.F.,
M1894, #5, Kilby
1897-1918 See note 1
Source: Form 1, 30 Jun 1921, RCB, 22 Sep 1903, 31 Dec 1910, 31 Dec 1915, Coast Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, page 122-123, 216.
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 18 Jun 1918, carriages scrapped 26 May 1920, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery Walker Plan


World War I (1917-1918)

On 29 May 1918, the removal of the two 10" guns at Battery Walker for service abroad was ordered. The guns were removed on 18 Jun 1918, shipped to the Watervliet Arsenal and never replaced. The carriages remained until they were scrapped on 26 May 1920.

Current Status

Fair condition and open to the public. No guns or carriages in place.


{"selectable":false,"height":"-500","width":"-500"}

Location: On Fort Stevens, Oregon

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.207116 Long: -123.969217



GPS Locations:

Sources:

Links:

Fortification ID:

  • OR0177 - Battery Walker

Visited: 18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008

Picture Gallery