Fort Reading: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}


'''Fort Reading (1852-1856) (1866-1867)''' - Established on 26 May 1852 by 1st Lt. [[Nelson H. Davis]], Company E, [[2nd U.S. Infantry]] as a two-company post on Cow Creek, two and one-half miles from the Sacramento River. The post was intended to protect the mining district from Indian depredations. The fort was named for Major [[Pierson B. Reading]], paymaster of the [[California Volunteers]] during the [[Mexican War]], and a pioneer settler in California.  
'''Fort Reading (1852-1856) (1866-1867)''' - Established 26 May 1852 by 1st Lt. [[Nelson H. Davis]], Company E, [[2nd U.S. Infantry]] and named for Maj. [[Pierson B. Reading]]. The garrison was withdrawn on 1 Apr 1856 and intermittently occupied until 13 Jun 1867. Abandoned on 6 Apr 1870.
 
== History of {{PAGENAME}} ==
The garrison was withdrawn on 1 Apr 1856 but the post was intermittently occupied until 13 Jun 1867, and completely abandoned on 6 Apr 1870. The fort's buildings were sold prior to the restoration of the reservation to the public domain on 15 Feb 1881.
Established as a two company post on the west side of Cow Creek to protect the mining district from hostile Indians. The creek was prone to flooding when the rains came and the fort was often flooded during the rainy season.
{{Clr}}
----
----
{|
{|
Line 19: Line 18:


'''Sources:'''  
'''Sources:'''  
 
* {{Hart}}, page 32
* {{Frazer}}, page 29
'''Links:'''
'''Links:'''
* [http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtReading.html California Military History]
* [http://www.militarymuseum.org/FtReading.html California Military History]
* [http://www.forttours.com/pages/fortreading.asp Fort Tours]


{{Visited|No}}
{{Visited|No}}

Revision as of 17:06, 20 January 2008


Fort Reading (1852-1856) (1866-1867) - Established 26 May 1852 by 1st Lt. Nelson H. Davis, Company E, 2nd U.S. Infantry and named for Maj. Pierson B. Reading. The garrison was withdrawn on 1 Apr 1856 and intermittently occupied until 13 Jun 1867. Abandoned on 6 Apr 1870.

History of Fort Reading

Established as a two company post on the west side of Cow Creek to protect the mining district from hostile Indians. The creek was prone to flooding when the rains came and the fort was often flooded during the rainy season.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: 0.6 mi E of intersection of Deschutes and Dersch Rds, 6 mi NE of Anderson, California.

Maps & Images

Lat: 40.47539 Long: -122.23792

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No

Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!