Fort Henrietta: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "{{DEFAULTSORT:" to "|} {{DEFAULTSORT:" |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) m Text replace - "width="500"" to "width="-500" height="-500"" |
||
Line 14: | Line 14: | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="45.741105" lon="-119.198377" zoom="17" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="45.741105" lon="-119.198377" zoom="17" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(R) 45.741599, -119.198431 | (R) 45.741599, -119.198431 | ||
Fort Henrietta Blockhouse Replica | Fort Henrietta Blockhouse Replica |
Revision as of 20:51, 7 January 2019
Fort Henrietta (1855-1856) - Built by Major Mark A. Chinn and a detachment of the First Oregon Mounted Rifles in Umatilla County in November 1855 during the Yakima War. It was named for Henrietta Haller, Major Granville Haller's wife, who was Major Chinn's commander. Abandoned in 1856.
History of Fort HenriettaEstablished on 18 Nov 1855 by Maj. Chin on the site of the destroyed Umatilla Indian Agency buildings. The fort was 100 feet square stockade, seven foot tall. Bastions were built of cottonwood timbers on two of the angles. The fort was abandoned in 1856. Current StatusA replica of the blockhouse is located in Fort Henrietta Park on the east side of the Umatilla River. The actual site is identified by markers on the west side of the river at the end of the road in front of the old Catholic Church.
Source:
Links:
Picture Gallery
|