Battery Freeman: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
Line 10: Line 10:
A concrete [[Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" M1900 guns in M1900 Barbette carriages and one 3" M1898 gun in a M1898MI Barbette carriage. The two, 6" guns were mounted in a concrete emplacement on the left side of the interior of the earthworks fort and the single 3" gun was mounted in a concrete emplacement on the right side.
A concrete [[Endicott Period]] battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" M1900 guns in M1900 Barbette carriages and one 3" M1898 gun in a M1898MI Barbette carriage. The two, 6" guns were mounted in a concrete emplacement on the left side of the interior of the earthworks fort and the single 3" gun was mounted in a concrete emplacement on the right side.


The 6" carriages were not available until Dec 1905 and the guns were mounted after the carriages were installed. The 6" guns were removed in 1917 and sent to Willapa Bay on the North Coast of Cape Disappointment, Washington. The 3" gun was mounted in 1903 and remained in place until 1917.
The 6" carriages were not available until Dec 1905 and the guns were mounted after the carriages were installed. The 6" guns were removed in 1917 and sent to Willapa Bay on the North Coast of Cape Disappointment, Washington. The 3" gun was mounted in 1903 and remained in place until 1920.
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
{{FtStevensBatteryFreeman}}
{{FtStevensBatteryFreeman}}
[[Image:Fort Stevens Battery Freeman Plan.gif|thumb|left|795px|Battery Freeman Plan]]
[[Image:Fort Stevens Battery Freeman Plan.gif|thumb|left|795px|Battery Freeman Plan]]
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
No traces remain, destroyed in 1941 to make way for a parade ground.
No traces remain, destroyed in 1941 to make way for a parade ground.

Revision as of 20:45, 22 February 2011

Battery Freeman (1902-1920) - Battery Freeman was built at Fort Stevens (1) between Jul 1900 and Dec 1901 and was transferred for service 12 Nov 1900 at a total cost of $39,936.42. The battery was named on 27 Dec 1904 for Bvt. Col. Constant Freeman, Corps of Artillery, who served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

View of Battery Freeman inside the Old Earthworks
34th Company Encampment near Battery Freeman on Ramparts of Old Fort Stevens, 08/1913


Battery Freeman History

Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.

A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" M1900 guns in M1900 Barbette carriages and one 3" M1898 gun in a M1898MI Barbette carriage. The two, 6" guns were mounted in a concrete emplacement on the left side of the interior of the earthworks fort and the single 3" gun was mounted in a concrete emplacement on the right side.

The 6" carriages were not available until Dec 1905 and the guns were mounted after the carriages were installed. The 6" guns were removed in 1917 and sent to Willapa Bay on the North Coast of Cape Disappointment, Washington. The 3" gun was mounted in 1903 and remained in place until 1920.

Battery Freeman Armament (edit list)
Empl
No
Caliber
Type
Barrel
Length
Model Serial
No
Manufacturer Carriage Service
Dates
Notes
1 3" Rifle 154.5" M1898MI 115 Driggs-Seabury Masking Parapet, M1898,
#115, Driggs-Seabury
1903-1920
2 6" Rifle 310.4" M1900 8 Watervliet Barbette L.F., M1900,
#25, Watervliet
1905-1917 Transferred to
Willapa Bay 1917
3 6" Rifle 310.4" M1900 4 Watervliet Barbette L.F., M1900,
#24, Watervliet
1905-1917 Transferred to
Willapa Bay 1917
Source: CDSG
Battery Freeman Plan


Current Status

No traces remain, destroyed in 1941 to make way for a parade ground.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: On Fort Stevens (1), Oregon

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.206975 Long: -123.963

Sources:

Links: Visited: 18 May 2008

Battery Freeman Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!