Fort San Carlos (2): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
Line 12: | Line 12: | ||
== {{PAGENAME}} History == | == {{PAGENAME}} History == | ||
[[Image:Fort San Carlos Part of 1821 Map.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort San Carlos Portion of 1821 Map]] | [[Image:Fort San Carlos Part of 1821 Map.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort San Carlos Portion of 1821 Map]] | ||
The town of old Fernandina was laid out in 1811 in a grid pattern by surveyor [[George J. F. Clarke]]. The town occupied a neck of land with water on three sides. Fort San Carlos | The Spanish town of old Fernandina was laid out in 1811 in a grid pattern by surveyor [[George J. F. Clarke]]. The town occupied a neck of land with water on three sides on Amelia Island. | ||
Fernandina was seized from the Spanish by American forces under General [[George Mathews]] in 1812. Negotiations began for the withdrawal of U.S.troops early in 1813. On 6 May 1813, U.S. Army forces abandoned Fernandina and Spanish forces reoccupied the Island. | |||
The Spanish began construction of Fort San Carlos sometime in 1816. The Fort occupied the harbor side south west edge of the town with an eight gun earthworks battery. Two blockhouses protected the land access route on the south side and the whole town was surrounded with pickets. An 1821 map of Fernandina shows the fort occupying the area bounded by Estrada St., White St. and Somervelus St. | |||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} |
Revision as of 17:55, 26 February 2012
Fort San Carlos (2) (1816-1821) - A Spanish colonial fort established in 1816 in Old Fernandina on present day Amelia Island, Nassau County, Florida. Abandoned in 1821.
![]() |
Fort San Carlos (2) History

The Spanish town of old Fernandina was laid out in 1811 in a grid pattern by surveyor George J. F. Clarke. The town occupied a neck of land with water on three sides on Amelia Island.
Fernandina was seized from the Spanish by American forces under General George Mathews in 1812. Negotiations began for the withdrawal of U.S.troops early in 1813. On 6 May 1813, U.S. Army forces abandoned Fernandina and Spanish forces reoccupied the Island.
The Spanish began construction of Fort San Carlos sometime in 1816. The Fort occupied the harbor side south west edge of the town with an eight gun earthworks battery. Two blockhouses protected the land access route on the south side and the whole town was surrounded with pickets. An 1821 map of Fernandina shows the fort occupying the area bounded by Estrada St., White St. and Somervelus St.
Current Status
Part of Fernandina Plaza State Park, Nassau County, Florida.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Fernandina Plaza State Park, Nassau County, Florida. Maps & Images Lat: 30.69071 Long: -81.45597 |
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 202
Links:
Visited: No
Fort San Carlos (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |