Fort San Carlos (2): Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 33: Line 33:
(M) 30.688417, -81.456317
(M) 30.688417, -81.456317
Fort San Carlos Marker
Fort San Carlos Marker
(M) 30.688901, -81.456306
Plaza San Carlos Marker
</googlemap>
</googlemap>
|valign="top"|
|valign="top"|

Revision as of 06:29, 1 March 2012

Fort San Carlos (2) (1816-1821) - A Spanish colonial fort established in 1816 in Old Fernandina on present day Amelia Island, Nassau County, Florida. Abandoned in 1821.

Fort San Carlos Site Remains circa 1861

Fort San Carlos (2) History

Fort San Carlos Portion of 1821 Map

The Spanish town of old Fernandina was laid out in 1811 in a grid pattern by surveyor George J. F. Clarke. The town occupied a neck of land with water on three sides on Amelia Island.

Fernandina was seized from the Spanish by American forces under General George Mathews in 1812. Negotiations began for the withdrawal of U.S.troops early in 1813. On 6 May 1813, U.S. Army forces abandoned Fernandina and Spanish forces reoccupied the Island.

The Spanish began construction of Fort San Carlos sometime in 1816. The Fort occupied the harbor side south west edge of the town with an eight gun earthworks battery. Two blockhouses protected the land access route on the south side and the whole town was surrounded with pickets. An 1821 map of Fernandina shows the fort occupying the area bounded by Estrada St., White St. and Somervelus St. The town street plan is the same today as it was in 1821.

In 1817, a Scottish mercenary, Gregor MacGregor, led a small army in an assault on Fort San Carlos. On 29 Jun 1817, the Spanish commander abandoned the fort and MacGregor proclaimed the island to be the “Republic of the Floridas”. On 4 Sep 1817 he fled Fernandina, leaving a small garrison at Fort San Carlos.

On 13 Sep 1817 the Battle of Amelia Island began when the Spaniards erected a battery of four cannons east of the fort. After failing to take back the fort, the Spanish commander withdrew.

On 31 Oct 1817, President James Monroe sent U.S. forces to retake Amelia Island and he held it in trust until Florida was ceded to the U.S. by the Adams-Onis Treaty. The U.S. abandoned the fort shortly after the transfer in 1821.

Current Status

Two markers and some remains of the fort. Part of Fernandina Plaza State Park, Nassau County, Florida. This park is essentially a single city block on the site of the Plaza San Carlos and Fort San Carlos.

{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Fernandina Plaza State Park, Nassau County, Florida.

Maps & Images

Lat: 30.69071 Long: -81.45597

  • Multi Maps from ACME
  • Maps from Bing
  • Maps from Google
  • Elevation: .....'

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 202

Links:

Visited: 29 Feb 2012

Fort San Carlos (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!