Fort Jackson (2): Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
m Text replace - "<seo metadescription="Historic US and Canadian fortifications" />" to "<seo metadescription="Historic US and Canadian fortifications" /> {| style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto" width="800px" |- |"
Line 1: Line 1:
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{PageHeader}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1832-1922) - A [[Third System]] Coastal Fort first established in 1832 on the Mississippi River at Plaguemines Bend, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. Named after Gen. [[Andrew Jackson]], seventh President of the United States. Abandoned in 1922.
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1832-1922) - A [[Third System]] Coastal Fort first established in 1832 on the Mississippi River at Plaguemines Bend, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. Named after Gen. [[Andrew Jackson]], seventh President of the United States. Abandoned in 1922.
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}

Revision as of 17:07, 20 February 2015

Fort Jackson (2) (1832-1922) - A Third System Coastal Fort first established in 1832 on the Mississippi River at Plaguemines Bend, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. Named after Gen. Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States. Abandoned in 1922.

Fort Jackson Sallyport
Fort Jackson Wall


Third System (1816-1867)

Part of the Harbor Defense of the Mississippi. Defended Plaguemines Bend on the Mississippi River.

Fort Jackson Original Plan

Construction of the Third System fort began in 1822 and was completed in 1832 at a cost of $ 554,500. The fort was built on a foundation of three layers of cypress logs topped by cypress 2x4s submerged underwater. The fort walls are of red brick, twenty five feet high, twenty feet thick, with granite reinforced gun foundations. The fort layout is in the shape of a regular pentagon with arrow shaped bastions on each point. In the center was a 10 sided open center citadel that would reportedly house 500 troops. By the U.S. Civil War a separate water battery had been built on the right flank of the fort.

U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)

After 1862 Battle Map Showing Battle Damage

On 8 Jan 1861, just before the start of the U.S. Civil War, Fort Jackson and Fort St. Philip were seized from their Federal garrisons by Louisiana forces. Louisiana troops occupied both Fort St. Philip and Fort Jackson until an epic battle with Union Admiral David Farragut's fleet of gunboats in April 1862 at Plaquemines Bend. Farragut's mission was to seize control of the Mississippi and split the Confederacy in two. In April 1862 Farragut's fleet engaged both forts and attempted to destroy them with a six-day bombardment. The bombardment failed to destroy the forts and Farragut was forced to make a run past both forts with 17 wooden ships at 2 AM on 24 Apr 1862. In the ensuing Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip, 13 of the ships made it past the forts, and Farragut went on to New Orleans which surrendered to him on 29 Apr 1862. Both forts gave a good account of themselves and in the end it was probably the lack of enough cannon that enabled the fleet to get by. Fort Jackson was designed for 93 gun emplacements but had only 69 guns emplaced while Fort St. Philip had only 45 guns. The Union gunboats were able to send a total of 8,100 rounds against both forts. Both forts were surrendered to Union forces on 28 Apr 1862 and then garrisoned by them until the end of the war.

Endicott Period (1890-1910)

Construction began on the first of two Endicott Period gun batteries in 1898 and both of them were constructed within the boundaries of the old fort. Battery Ransom was built right onto the parade and Battery Millar was built on top of the earthworks on the left flank. Both batteries were completed by 1901.

Fort Jackson was operated as a subpost of Fort St. Philip and had only quarters for caretakers and no support buildings.

Fort Jackson Endicott Period Battery (edit list)
Battery
Click on Battery links below
No. Caliber Type Mount Service Years Battery Cost Notes
Battery Ransom 2 8" Disappearing 1898-1899-1899-1918 $ 150,000
Battery Millar 2 3" Balanced Pillar 1899-1900-1901-1920 $ 22,868
Source: CDSG
Fort Jackson Plan


World War I (1917-1918)

Fort Jackson was used as a training base during World War I.

Use of Fort St. Philip and Fort Jackson (2) for coast defense purposes was discontinued 11 Mar 1920 as a part of the postwar disarmament program. The remaining gun batteries were disarmed and the guns shipped out over the next year and by 1922 both posts were abandoned. Fort Jackson was declared surplus in 1927 and was purchased by a New Orleans couple, they donated it to Plaquemines Parish in 1962 and it is still owned by the Parish. In 1960 Fort Jackson (2) and Fort St. Philip were designated National Historic Landmarks.

Current Status

The old fort is still closed to the public after being damaged by Hurricane Katrina and Rita. No period guns or carriages in place.

{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Fort Jackson Park, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana.

Maps & Images

Lat: 29.356668 Long: -89.455447

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 339-341
  • Weaver, John R. II, A Legacy in Brick and Stone: America Coastal Defense Forts of the Third System, Redoubt Press, McLean, 2001, First Printing, ISBN 1-57510-069-X, page 179-196

Links:

Visited: 9 Dec 2009

Fort Jackson (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!