Lapierre House
Lapierre House (1846-1892) - A Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post and fort first established in 1846 near present day Fort McPherson, Yukon. Abandoned in 1892. Spelled in a variety of ways including La Pierre and LaPierre. HistoryA Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) fur trading post and fort first established in 1846 north of Eagle Plains, at the junction of the Bell and Water Rivers. The post was relocated in 1851 to the present site along the Waters River west of Fort McPherson and east of the community of Old Crow. HBC records begin in 1851 and end in 1892. Lapierre House was probably built to support travelers between Fort McPherson and the Yukon River by providing a reliable supply of caribou meat. Records from Lapierre House indicate that the the native peoples brought in mostly meat to trade rather than furs. Because of it's unique location at the edge of the tree line and into the permafrost region, Lapierre House supported a number of scientific expeditions. Robert Kennicott, a young American naturalist, under the auspices of the Smithsonian Institution, visited the post in 1860, 1861 and 1862. Other scientists followed in later years. After this post was abandoned by the HBC in 1893, the Anglican Church purchased the remaining the buildings from them. The location continued to be an important stop on the route between Fort McPherson and Fort Yukon as did Rampart House. A number of families lived there for at least part of the year up to the 1930's. A store operated at the site between 1925 and 1935. Old crow is a small community of about 250 people without road access to the outside world, a small airstrip provides the only access. Most of the inhabitants of both Rampart House and Lapierre House moved to Old Crow. Current StatusPart of the Lapierre House Historic Site. This site, with a variety of archaeological resources, is cooperatively owned and managed by the Yukon Government and the Vuntut Gwichin First Nation.
See Also: Sources:
Links:
|