Camp Ripley
Camp Ripley (1929-Active) - First established in 1929. Named after Fort Ripley, which in turn was named after Maj. Gen. Eleazar W. Ripley.
Camp Ripley History
Camp Ripley is an active 53,000-acre military and civilian training facility operated by the Minnesota National Guard. It is located north of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 155. The location of the camp was selected in 1929 by Ellard A. Walsh, Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota and took its name from the earlier frontier-era Fort Ripley, which in turn was named after Maine congressman and distinguished War of 1812 veteran Eleazar W. Ripley, the remains of which were contained within the new camp's property boundaries. Escort is require to vist Fort Ripley site and the camp cemetery. Visting the Camp: The Minnesota Military Museum, located at Camp Ripley, is open to the general public as well as military personnel. Hours are: May - September: 10a.m. to 5p.m. (Daily except National Holidays) October - April: 9.a.m. - 4 p.m. (Thursdays and Fridays) Group tours can usually be arranged for other times upon request. There is no charge for admission but a $3 donation is requested from adults who are not presently in the military. North of the camp at Brainerd there is a memorial to the members of the 194th Tank Battalion who died and sufferd on the Bataan Death March of WWII.
Camp Brochure (48 page PDF) [1]
Current Status
Active Military Installation
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: North of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 155 Maps & Images Lat: 46.0786 Long: -94.3457 |
Sources:
Visited: No
Camp Ripley Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |