Fort Atkinson (2)
Fort Atkinson (2) (1850-1854) - First established 8 Aug 1850 by Ltc. Edwin Vose Sumner, 1st U.S. Dragoons as Camp Mackay named after Ltc. Aeneas Mackay. Renamed 25 Jun 1851 as Fort Atkinson after Col. Henry Atkinson, 6th U.S. Infantry, who died 14 Jun 1842. Abandoned in 1854.
Fort Atkinson (2) History
Current Status
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 291
Visited: No
Fort Atkinson (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |