Fort C.F. Smith (2)

From FortWiki
Revision as of 16:30, 20 July 2010 by John Stanton (talk | contribs) (New page: {{SocialNetworks}} '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1863-1865) - A Union fortification established in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War. Named after MG Charles Ferguson Smith. Decommissioned in 18...)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Fort C.F. Smith (2) (1863-1865) - A Union fortification established in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War. Named after MG Charles Ferguson Smith. Decommissioned in 1865.

Fort C.F. Smith (2) History

Constructed by Union Troops in early 1863 along with Fort Strong, Fort Morton, and Fort Woodbury. These forts functioned as an outer perimeter of defenses protecting the Aqueduct Bridge of the C&O Canal.

Technically the fort was a lunette with a southern and western face, two flanks and two bastions on the north side. The fort was entered from the east by a connecting road to Fort Strong.

The support buildings where the troops ate and slept were located east of the post. Those structures included barracks, mess halls, cook houses, officers quarters and a headquarters building.

Current Status

The earthwork ruins at this park are among the best preserved ruins of the 22 forts that were located in Arlington during the U.S. Civil War. The ruins include the bomb proof, the fort well, the North magazine, and 11 of the 22 gun emplacements.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Arlington County, Virginia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 38.900833 Long: -77.090556

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 804

Links:

Visited: No

Fort C.F. Smith (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!