Fort Thayer
Fort Thayer (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Washington DC. Named Fort Thayer after Colonel Sylvanius Thayer, expert engineer known as the father of the United States Military Academy. Abandoned in 1865.
History of Fort Thayer
Established in August 1861 as a lunette between Fort Lincoln (2) and Fort Bunker Hill with a perimeter of 180 yards and emplacements for eight guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Thayer, Capt. H. D. Scott commanding. – Garrison, withdrawn; works guarded by Sixteenth Massachusetts Battery, from Camp Barry–1 ordnance-sergeant. Armament, four 24-pounder barbette, one 24-pounder siege, two 8-inch siege howitzers, one 24-pounder Coehorn mortar. Magazines, one: dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply, well packed and in good order. Implements, complete and serviceable."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Current Status
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531065
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Washington DC. Maps & Images Lat: 38.97917 Long: -76.97167 |
See Also:
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 140.
Links:
- North American Forts - Fort Thayer
- NPS Civil War Defenses of Washington - Appendix E: General Reports About the Defenses
- Wikipedia - Fort Thayer
Visited: No