Fort Pepperrell (2)

From FortWiki
Revision as of 15:52, 24 June 2015 by John Stanton (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Fort Pepperrell (2) (1941-1961) - A United States World War II Fort established in 1941 in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Named Fort Pepperrell after Sir William Pepperrell (1696–1759) of Kittery, Maine who captured the French seaport at Louisbourg on 16 Jun 1745. Transferred to the United States Air Force and renamed Pepperrell Air Force Base in 1947. Abandoned by the U.S. in 1960.

History of Fort Pepperrell

Established in 1941.

Fort Pepperrell officially became Pepperrell Air Force Base in 1947 after the Air Force was created as a separate service.

Pepperrell AFB became the headquarters for the newly formed Northeast Air Command (NEAC) on 1 Oct 1951. The 64th Air Division was activated at Pepperrell AFB In the spring of 1952 and the 152nd Aircraft Control and Warning Group was assigned to it. A temporary Air Defense Direction Center (ADDC) was established at Red Cliff Air Station until the permanent facility at White Hills was finished. The direction center mission terminated at Red Cliff on 26 May 1955.

On 11 Aug 1961 Pepperrell Air Force Base was officially closed.

Current Status

Closed.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Maps & Images

Lat: 47.58611 Long: -52.69194

  • Multi Maps from ACME
  • Maps from Bing
  • Maps from Google
  • Elevation: .....'

See Also:

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No