|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery 129 (1944-NA) - Battery 129 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Barry, California. Battery construction started 5 Sep 1942, was completed 14 Mar 1944 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 7 May 1944 at a cost of $ 2,069,738.90. Gun tubes were on site but the carriages were never shipped. Never activated.
Battery 129 History
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built as an World War II casemated concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 Navy guns to be mounted on M4 Barbette carriages. Gun tubes shipped from Battery 132 23 Dec 1943 to Fort Barry. Carriages were never assigned or shipped.
|1||16" Rifle||66.7'||MarkII-M1||55||U.S. Navy||Barbette, M4, #??, Unknown||1944-NA||See note 1|
|2||16" Rifle||66.7'||MarkII-M1||75||U.S. Navy||Barbette, M4, #??, Unknown||1944-NA||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, Jul 1944, CDSG, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 176-177, 215|
Note 1:Guns shipped 23 Dec 1943 from Battery 132, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No gun or mounts in place.
Location: Fort Barry, California
Maps & Images Lat: 37.827108 Long: -122.500241
- Coastal Defense Study Group, Press, Digital Library, Forums
- Kent, Matthew W., Harbor Defenses of San Francisco - A Field Guide 1890 to 1950, Copyright 2009, Blurb, ISBN 978-1-61584-163-9, page 171-175
- California Military Museum - Battery 129
Visited: 19 Aug 2009
Battery 129 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!