|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery 245 (1944-1947) - A World War II reinforced concrete gun battery built at Fort Stevens (1) between 28 Oct 1942 and 31 Aug 1944 at a cost of $248,578. Officially operational 28 Oct 1944. Deactivated in 1947.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Columbia.
One of three like World War II batteries that provided a "triangle of fire" protection for the mouth of the Columbia River. Battery 245 at Fort Stevens (1), Battery 246 at Fort Columbia and Battery 247 at Fort Canby made up the three points of the triangle.
Armament consisted of two 6", Model T2, 309.9" long rifled guns each mounted in a separate shielded M4 Barbette carriage. Between the two guns was a reinforced concrete bunker housing the ammunition and control mechanisms. The battery was self-contained, with it's own power generator, plotting rooms, magazines, and other facilities. It was also designed to be gas-proof in case of chemical attack.
|These 6" World War II coastal gun batteries were designed to replace obsolete Endicott Period Batteries. Of the 87 planned only 45 were completed and many of those were not completed until late in the war (1944-1945).
The 6" guns fired a 105 pound armor-piercing projectile with a range of over 15 miles at a rate of up to 5 rounds per minute. The gun crews were protected by a thick shield around the gun. Only six of these guns remain in the world, two at Fort Columbia in Battery 246, two at Fort Pickens in Battery 234, and two at Fort McAndrew in Battery 282 in Argentia, Canada.
The guns now mounted at Fort Stevens (1) are 5" Naval guns in a completed turret and are similar to the originals except that the turret is completely enclosed. These guns and turrets were installed by the State of Oregon in 1985. The original guns were dismantled in 1947 when the fort closed down and the gun tubes were shipped to Fort Miley, Battery 243.
|1||6" Rifle||309.9"||T2-M1||27||Watervliet||Barbette M4, #7, Wellman Eng. Co.||1944-1947||See Note 1|
|2||6" Rifle||309.9"||T2-M1||26||Watervliet||Barbette M4, #8, Wellman Eng. Co.||1944-1947||See Note 1|
|Source: Coastal Defense Study Group|
Note 1: Guns shipped to Fort Miley, Battery 243, 17 Jul 1947, CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery 245 is located on Fort Stevens (1) Oregon. The battery is open to the public and in good condition. The rooms in the Battery are empty but many are marked by function. Period guns and carriages are in place although they are not the same as the originals.
Location: Fort Steven, Clatsop County, Oregon
Maps & Images Lat: 46.207139 Long: -123.971711
Recent Blog Posts:
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project Harbor Defenses of the Columbia, (CCA-AN-CR), 12 Aug 1946, CDSG
Visited: 18 May 2008
Battery 245 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!