Battery George Ricker
Battery George Ricker (1942-1948) - Battery George Ricker was a reinforced concrete, World War II 8 inch coastal gun battery on Brodie Camp Military Reservation, Honolulu County, Hawaii. This battery was constructed using two U.S. Navy twin gun turrets removed from the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. Originally known as Battery Brodie and renamed in G.O. 96, 27 Aug 1946, after Lt. Colonel George W. Ricker, CAC, who was killed in an airplane crash in December 1941. Battery construction started 10 Mar 1942, was completed in about three months . Placed in caretaker status early in 1945 and armement removed in 1948. Also known as Battery Ricker.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Kaneohe Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with four 8" Mark IX M2 Navy guns mounted in two turrets removed from the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. The battery mounted two turrets each with two guns. Both guns in a turret traversed and elevated together.
Construction of the emplacements took place on a priority basis and by 19 May 1942 the turrets were installed and proof fired. Each turret was emplaced at the intersection of two underground corridors that formed a "V". The corridors led to the magazines. Power was furnished by an underground central generator building. A battery commander's station was located between the turrets and built onto the BCS was an additional room to house the SCR-296A radar set. The radar antenna was place on a 25' tower and disguised as a water tower.
The battery site also contained barracks and support buildings for the troops all under deceptive camouflage cover.
The battery was manned until early 1945 when it was placed in caretaker status. The guns and carriages were processed for salvage in 1948.
Some remains, no period guns or mounts in place.