Battery Hamilton (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Hamilton (2) (1905-1917) - Battery John Hamilton was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort H.G. Wright, Fishers Island, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Col. John Hamilton, 5th U.S. Artillery, who served with distinction during the U.S. Civil War, and who died 15 Jul 1900. Battery construction started in April 1903, was completed in July 1905 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 29 Aug 1905 at a cost of $ 52,250.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Disappearing carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns located on raised platforms with the magazines between the emplacements. No shell or powder hoists were provided. Power was furnished by the emplacement power plant in Battery Butterfield.
M1903, #34, Wellman
|1905-1917||See note 1|
M1903, #33, Wellman
|1905-1917||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 1 May 1926, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 98-99, 205|
Note 1: Guns transferred to Fort Monroe 19 Nov 1917, carriages ordered scrapped 26 May 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns of Battery Hamilton (2) were ordered dismounted for service abroad on 24 Aug 1917. The guns were transferred to Fort Monroe on 19 Nov 1917 and then to France on 26 Jul 1918. The carriages were ordered scrapped on 26 May 1920. Battery Hamilton was not rearmed.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Fishers Island, Suffolk County, New York
Maps & Images Lat: 41.255303 Long: -72.034894
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Long Island Sound, (HDLIS-AN-45), 15 Feb 1945, CDSG
Battery Hamilton (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!